- Walking alongside the top of the valley from Laughton en le Morthen towards Roche Abbey provides some great views over the surrounding countryside towards Brookhouse.
- The path descending the valley side through the woods can be slippery after wet weather. Make sure you are properly dressed and have appropriate footwear.
- You can return along the bottom of the valley climbing back up to pass through the villages of Slade Hooton and Brookhouse before reaching Laughton.
- Try a Sunday lunch at the Travellers Rest in Brookhouse.
- Roche Abbey is not open every day so please check before you go. However, the meadows and public footpaths around the Abbey are accessible at all times.
- The car park barrier is locked promptly – please check the times when you arrive.
- Did you know that the village cricket pitch at Brookhouse once played host to Top Gear in “Jeremy drives a Reliant Robin part 2 (series 15, episode 1)”? The Brookhouse section is at 3:20 but the entire episode is very entertaining.
Videos of Roche Abbey from YouTube
Getting there from Throapham House
Roche Abbey is just a short drive from Throapham House but it also makes a nice walk when the weather is fine. If you would like to walk then we have some easy local walks which take in the Abbey. An OS map of the area is also available in our guest lounge for those who would like to follow the slightly more challenging paths.